Proud to Own Series
Each Wednesday, we highlight a core portfolio holding within our Faith-Based 100 Index, and show why it is a part of our “Proud to Own” universe.
As a reminder, for the company to be included in our “proud to own” universe, it must meet three criteria:
1. It must not violate your faith and values. Some of the types of companies we can avoid include those involved in the abortion industry, those producing explicit entertainment and pornography, those conducting embryonic stem cell and fetal tissue research, companies funding and lobbying for homosexuality, those involved in vices like alcohol, tobacco and gambling and companies that are abusing the environment.
2. It should be a company that complements your faith and values. This involves finding companies: Helping the poor and defenseless; Protecting the sanctity of human life; Producing morally sound entertainment; Finding cures for life threatening diseases; and Improving the society we live in…
3. It should be a company with strong profit potential. This involves finding companies in solid financial condition that have strong profit potential and/or provide strong cash flows via dividends. We use a five-point inspection to evaluate each investment we are considering. We analyze a company’s earnings potential, price momentum, risk, financial health, and its current valuation. Our goal is to find quality companies that stay true to your values AND are profitable! This is not an either /or scenario but rather a winning combination.
This Week’s Highlighted Company
We look for companies changing the world around us. This includes companies creating life changing medicine. That’s where this week’s “proud to own” company comes into play…
Medivation, Inc. (NASDAQ: MDVN) is a biopharmaceutical company focused on the rapid development of novel therapies to treat serious diseases for which there are limited treatment options. Medivation aims to transform the treatment of these diseases and offer hope to critically ill patients and their families.
Medivation’s prostate cancer drug Xtandi (enzalutimide) was discovered through university research. It was then brought through clinical trials. once these trials showed promise, Medivation brought the drug to the market through its partnership with Astellas Pharma.
Enzalutimide targets the androgen receptors in cancer cells to slow the development of certain types of prostate cancers. This has improvied and lengthened the quality of life for its patients.
Through its extensive network of contacts with top-flight scientists and research institutions, it acquires early-development stage pharmaceuticals and medical devices that have promising clinical, intellectual property and commercial prospects. Using the extensive development experience and expertise of its core team, supplemented by expert consultants in relevant functions, it identifies and executes the strategic pathway that will allow the most rapid, efficient and effective development.
Its business strategy is straightforward:
1. Build a portfolio of four to six product candidates. It focuses on those that have the potential to be in clinical development within 12 to 18 months after acquisition.
2. Develop those product candidates as rapidly and efficiently as possible.
3. It considers partnering or selling successful programs to large pharmaceutical, biotechnology or medical device companies for late-stage clinical studies and commercialization.
Founded in 2004, Medivation was named one of the top places to work in the San Francsico/Bay Area in both 2013 and 2014 . Here is a great quote on why it is a great place to work:
“The fact that our own employees have once again placed Medivation among the best places to work in the vibrant and diverse San Francisco business community speaks volumes to the culture we’ve built here and the passion we all feel for our work,” said David Hung, M.D., founder, president and chief executive officer at Medivation. “I am proud to say that this spirit is evident in our daily interactions as colleagues, the game-changing success we’ve achieved to date, and the evident determination of everyone on the team to pursue the significant opportunities that still lie ahead. I can’t think of a better, more exciting place to work and I am deeply gratified that our employees feel the same way.”
Medivation Inc. (NASDQ: MDVN) is a company you can be “proud to own”.